Re: [vox-tech] Re: [vox] Large File Support

On Tue, Mar 27, 2001 at 12:50:54PM -0800, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:

> > > i didn't say that.  the prototypes are determined by ISO/ANSI C.
> >
> > What you said, was that our problem is due to the ISO/ANSI C folks,
>
> i didn't know about fsetpos and fgetpos (thanks).   however, i DID say that
> they were the ones that created the problem by setting the prototypes for
> fseek and ftell to use "long int".
>
> regardless of whether they created new functions to fix this or not...
>
>   is my statement not true?
>
> peter

They did not create the problem - as I mentioned, fseek() and ftell()
had been around for several years, *long* before there was an ANSI C
team to begin with.  Yes, they set the prototype (since they invented
"prototypes" in C) - but they hardly had a choice in what the
prototype was, and certainly didn't create the problem.

If they had changed the fseek() and ftell() prototypes, they would've
broken an awful lot of code.  What would you have done?  They did the
only thing which I can see them doing - leave fseek() and ftell()
alone, but offer in addition more forward-thinking alternatives.

Obviously, if they didn't care about breaking old code, they probably
could have changed a lot of things - such as scrapping gets().  This
does not make them responsible.

Micah