Re: [vox-tech] persistant aliases under bash?

On Tue, Mar 27, 2001 at 11:48:37AM -0800, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> On Tue 27 Mar 01, 11:22 AM, Micah Cowan said:
> > On Tue, Mar 27, 2001 at 10:16:35AM -0800, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> > > i think the answer is no, but i'll ask anyway.
> > >
> > > is there a way to export bash aliases, like we do with bash variables, so
> > > that the aliases are available to subsequent subshells?

> > > --
> > > "Coffee... I've conquered the Borg on coffee!"               p@dirac.org
> > >        -- Kathryn Janeway on the virtues of coffee           www.dirac.org/p
> >
> > I'm not sure what you mean - isn't that the /default/ behavior?
>
> not at all!   put an alias into /etc/profile.  source the file.
>
> now start X.
>
> is your alias available to you in an xterm?  (answer is no).
> give it a try!

That's completely non-sequitur.  /etc/profile isn't loaded in xterm.
/etc/bashrc is.  So try /exactly/ the same trick with /etc/bashrc,
don't bother to source it (but do save it) and open a new xterm.

Answer is 'yes'.  Give it a try!  :)

/etc/bashrc and ~/.bashrc are not loaded for interactive logins, and
are loaded for non-interactive logins.

/etc/profile and ~/.bash_profile are loaded for interactive logins and
are not loaded for non-interactive logins.

This is completely useless behavior for me, so here is the complete
contents of my ~/.bash_profile:

#!/bin/bash
# .bash_profile

if [ -f ~/.bashrc ]