Re: [vox-tech] My nagging FTP ache

On Wed, Feb 07, 2001 at 05:50:41PM -0600, Jay Strauss wrote:
> I don't understand what you want me to check.  Speak slowly, I'm
> stupid

Simply, as of yet, uneducated on this particular topic...  :)

> From: "Dale Bewley" <dale@bewley.net>
> >
> > Reverse DNS lookups working for the client addresses?
> >
> > On Wed, 7 Feb 2001, Jay Strauss wrote:
> > > The first time I FTP to a machine, I get:
> > > Connected to <machine>
> > > But then it takes about 60-90 sec. before I get the login prompt.  It

This is a classic Reverse DNS lookup failure as Dale points out.

enter into your /etc/hosts file entries for the client machine (and
possibly depending on your distro make sure that your /etc/resolv.conf
includes a line like "order hosts,bind" -- not a problem for debian's
woody).

client's ip is 10.0.0.1...

server's /etc/hosts file:
10.0.0.1 client

server's /etc/resolv.conf:      (if needed, prolly not though)
order hosts,bind

This is occuring most likely because you've an entry in your
/etc/hosts.deny file that looks like this:
ALL : PARANOID

You could comment out that line, but I'd recommend against it.

Upon connect (signified by the "connected to XYZ" message), the tcpd
wrapper is trying to honor the ALL:PARANOID setting by verifying that your
forward and reverse DNS entries for the client are the same.  The DNS
lookups are failing and expiring most likely because you're on a private
network, or you can't reach a valid dns server.

--
Ted Deppner
http://www.psyber.com/~ted/