[vox-tech] ssh/telnet security question

  • Subject: [vox-tech] ssh/telnet security question
  • From: Jan Wynholds <jcwynholds@yahoo.MAPScom>
  • Date: Tue, 06 Feb 2001 14:37:27 -0800

A while back, there was some mention (I think it was
Pete) of using telnet and ssh.

Here is what I remember:  If you use client A to
contact telnet server B, then ssh from B to ssh server
C, then the transmissions from A to B, and from B to C
all become subject to cracking/sniffing.  I have a
question about another case.  What if A and B are on a
firewalled/masqueraded (and the configuration of both
is secure) local net, while C exists somewhere out on
the internet.  Are the transmissions from (A to B and)
B to C still at risk for cracking/sniffing?

My guts tell me no (b/c of the masq/firewall), but I
am very new to this sort of analysis.

If nobody knows, would this be a suitable question for
Dr. Bishop tonight?

Thanks,