Re: [vox-tech] learned a new bash thing today

On Sat, Feb 03, 2001 at 12:34:04PM -0800, Mark Kim wrote:
> On Fri, 2 Feb 2001, Micah Cowan wrote:
> > The relevent part for your ~/.inputrc file is relatively straightforward:
> > "\e[A": previus-history
> > "\e[B": next-history
>
> Looking at my ~/.inputrc, I see that I've tried it then commented it out
> -- probably because it doesn't work.  Peter confirms it :(

Yup, doesn't work.  The problem is that \e in inputrc overrides the
"set -o vi" mode's use of the ESC char.  I'm sure you could write the rest
of the inputrc to reassign all the vi keys, but that'd get messy.

I for one don't mind not using the arrow keys, as my hands can stay on the
keyboard -- the whole purpose of VI's key definitions in the first place.

--
Ted Deppner
http://www.psyber.com/~ted/