Re: [vox-tech] new member needs help about DSL

  • Subject: Re: [vox-tech] new member needs help about DSL
  • From: Peter Jay Salzman <MAPSp@dirac.org>
  • Date: Sat, 03 Feb 2001 11:33:14 -0800

On Sat 03 Feb 01, 11:26 AM, Sep Dadsetan said:
> Thanks for the help and the advice for this stuff guys. I have a question
> though. Do I have to go through and do all that security stuff. It seems
> really time consuming and tedious.

nope.  you don't NEED to do it.  you should though.  i don't know what
people suggested.  what exactly is time consuming and tedious?

> Plus the fact that I don't know what half
> of that stuff means.

if you're some kind of student of engineering, i'm going to assume it's
because you love learning about new things and have a bent for technical
issues.   think of this as an opporunity!

> Secondly, I can't get PPPoE because I don't have
> internet with Linux. What do I do?

what exactly do you mean?  do you mean pac bell's email stuff?    if you
have DSL on your phone line, you have internet with linux.

if you can't USE the internet with linux, it only means you haven't
configured it yet.

> I tried going through /mnt/ to see if I
> could access the windows partition but that was unsuccessful.

look for /C.  or, try this.

mkdir /C
mount -t vfat /dev/hda1 /C

sep, you're faced with an opportunity to learn.  take advantage of it.
enjoy it.

pete