Re: [vox-tech] What's the real deal with network cards

Re: [vox-tech] What's the real deal with network cards

let me add to what bill said.

some cards have data alignment restrictions, meaning that they can't send or
receive data until a send or receive buffer is filled.  these cards have
extra overhead in copying data from the wire to a buffer (or from a buffer
to the wire).

i had a conversation with don becker[*] about this, and he explained the
details (most of which was over my head).

anyway, one class of cards which have this stringent data alignment issue
are the cards based on the rtl8129.

i have to point out that when i had this conversation, the 8129 and 8139
shared a driver.  now they dont.  i'm not sure if the 8139 cards have the
same issue.

in any event, don's[**] conclusion was that you won't really see a
performance issue unless you have a bunch of systems which are running
parallel code, where you're depending on getting ultra fast replies from
peers working on parts of your calculation.

pete

[*] i'm not nearly as bad about name dropping as some, but allow me to have
my 15 minutes of fame!  ;-)

[**] no, we're really not on a first name basis.  i'm just name dropping
again.