Re: [vox-tech] What's the real deal with network cards

Re: [vox-tech] What's the real deal with network cards

AFAIK as 100 mbit or less it maters very little for the hardware.  Quality of
the drivers can make a big difference though.

3com has some cards that have hardware checksumming which is nice but not
really a big deal.  Not sure which other cards have this feature.

At Gigabit the legacy ethernet/tcpip stack is ummm suboptimal, so the design
of the card can make a BIG difference, but just about any 10/100 mbit
card should be just fine, even for a server.

I've seen just bout anything come within a few percent of optimal, i.e.
saturating the network, even crappy $10 ISA ne2000 clones.  Keep in
mind I'm refering to linux, I've seen windows often get less then 10%
utilization, especially over window fileshares.

Personally my favorite is the netgear cards that you can get a box of
10 for under $200 ish.  Use the tulip driver which has been good/stable
for years.

So as a rule of thumb, unless it's gigabit it doesn't matter.