Re: [vox-tech] new kernel: 2.4.2

On Tue 27 Feb 01,  7:43 AM, Jay Strauss said:
> Is it stable?

any kernel version *.even-number.* is considered stable.  since 4 is even,
it's stable.

> Why should I move from 2.2.16 (RH6.2) up to 2.4.2?  I'm not trying to be
> argumentative, just curious.

there were a few bugs in 2.2.16, including a fairly exotic PCI system bug
and a couple of buffer overflows.

plus new functionality which may or may not be important to you.  if you're
really curious, the best thing to do is to download the kernel, make
menuconfig, and see what got changed.  if what you see doesn't feel all that
important, then rm -rf the code.

you most probably want to upgrade to at least 2.2.18, which fixed the buffer
overflows and contains mature support for DRI/DRM.  also has better SMP
handling, among other things.

pete

--
"...and here is fortress ovum being stormed by               p@dirac.org