Re: [vox-tech] why security is important

  • Subject: Re: [vox-tech] why security is important
  • From: jdnewmil@dcn.davMAPSis.ca.us
  • Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2001 23:58:35 -0800

On Thu, 22 Feb 2001, Richard Cook wrote:

> This one speaks for itself.  Protect your webservers... :-)
>
> http://www.microsoft.com&item=q209354@www.hwnd.net/pub/mskb/Q209354.asp

If I am interpreting your subject line correctly, Richard, you seem to be
under the misapprehension that someone has hacked www.microsoft.com.

In fact, you are just seeing a rarely used feature of URL notation, in
which a username is being passed to the host www.hwnd.net as part of the
URL.  The username is "www.microsoft.com&item=q209354" and is in this case
ignored (you can go right to http://www.hwnd.net/pub/mskb/Q209354.asp with
no username at all).