Re: [vox-tech] Accessing SoundBlaster drivers/modules in Debian

On Thu 22 Feb 01, 11:09 PM, Edwin P. Groot said:
> At 01:10 AM 2/22/2001 -0800, you wrote:
> >On Wed 21 Feb 01,  7:31 PM, Edwin P. Groot said:
> >>      I need some help in sound configuration on my 486 DX2-66 (16MB
> >
> >edwin, on debian, all modules listed in /etc/modules get loaded at boot
> >time.
>
>    Ahhh [fog slowly lifts], /etc/modules lists the names of the modules to
> load at bootup and /etc/modules.conf sets their configuration options.
> There are too damn many files to think about in Unix.  Now back in the CP/M
> days I could count the built-in commands on one hand and the external
> commands on the other...

heh.  i've been at linux for a bit over 2 years now.  you get to learn this
stuff eventually.  :)

>    Does that mean I don't have to fiddle with recompiling the kernel :) :)
> :) :) :)  Oh, I was so dreading that.  Are kernel modules something new?  I
> kept reading on the internet that I would have to set the drivers to use
> and RECOMPILE THE KERNEL to get the sound support working right.

don't be afraid to recompile the kernel.  it's a natural step in the
evolution of all linux users.  it's a good experience.

modules aren't new, and as far as having to recompile the kernel to get
sound support, that's not necessarily true.

you could build sound support directly into the kernel (this is the route i
go), which requires recompilation.  or you can load modules to give the same
functionality.

> >> before.  I am a little worried that there is nothing under the "Synth
> >> devices:" entry, because I know my SoundBlaster has an FM-Synthesis
> >> port at 0x388.
>
>    OK, given your information I figured this out.  Add "adlib_card" to
> /etc/modules.  Make a new file /etc/modutils/adlib_card with one line in it:
> options adlib_card io=0x388
> Then run "# update-modules".  Then reboot with "# shutdown -r now" to have
> the change take effect.  /dev/sndstat now has "Yamaha OPL3" for FM Synthesis.

edwin, if you're a new user, i can tell right now that in a year, i'll be
asking YOU questions.

> >there's an AWE howto, but i think it's terribly outdated.
> >
> >kernel 2.4.0 can probe ISA pnp.  supposedly, kernel hackers found some safe
> >way of probing.   maybe a kernel upgrade would help.
> >to be perfectly honest, i had problems with the same card till i went to the
> >2.3 series (which eventually became 2.4).   i'm not the world's SB AWE
> >expert, but the kernel upgrade helped.
>
>    My card is not PnP, so this is not relevent.  BUT I got "bplay", a
> command-line WAV/RIFF player, and it plays all those WAVs perfectly, after
> those modifications to /etc/modules.conf.  I found that redirecting a file
> to /dev/dsp is not meant for playing WAVs, but is just a way to test that
> /dev/dsp is working.
>

>      Problem solved more or less.  Get it? - unix pun.  Thanks Pete.
>
>      Edwin

edwin, my pleasure to help out.  but really, all i did was give you a few
hints on how modules get loaded and how to catch error messages when they
scroll upon boot.   you did the hard part.  if anyone here is to blame for
the success of your sound card, it's you.

if you wanted to do something to help out, you can write about your
experience in getting the card to work (was this an ISA AWE64?) and let me
put it up on my website for other linux users!  :)

pete

--
"...and here is fortress ovum being stormed by               p@dirac.org
    millions of tiny warriors..."                            www.dirac.org/p