January 6: Social gathering

RE: Re: [vox-tech] Pasting From Netscape

  • Subject: RE: Re: [vox-tech] Pasting From Netscape
  • From: "Deja User" <unix_admMAPSin@my-deja.com>
  • Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 23:15:29 -0800

Why CTRL+V? Well, z (undo), x and c were taken... Also, remember when you worte a
paper and left out a word? Remember writing the word above the sentence and making a
"V" shape pointing down to where you wanted to insert it? I'd never thought of it
before, but it makes sense to use "V" from both a practical standpoint (proximity to
the CTRL key) and an intuitive one (like the symbol to insert text into a sentence). UA

>Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 20:15:01 -0800
>From: Harry Souders <gnulinux@rosecomputing.com>
>To: vox-tech@franz.mother.com
>Subject: Re: [vox-tech] Pasting From Netscape
>
>On Wed, Feb 21, 2001 at 05:30:43PM -0800, jdnewmil@dcn.davis.ca.us wrote:
>> I find that highlight-based selections don't allow me as much freedom to
>> make a place for my paste as having an explicit Copy operator like Alt-C
>> does.  For example, I see an interesting URL, select it, go to Netscape,
>> left-click at the beginning or end of the URL that is already present, and
>> then select and delete the previous URL.  Using an explicit copy command,
>> I can select, Copy, select the old URL, optionally delete itand
>> Paste, or just Paste and the old URL is replaced.  The inability to select
>> again before pasting is very noticeable to me.
>
>I feel like a heretic, but I prefer the windows Ctrl-C, Ctrl-P, Ctrl-V
>(why V?) way. I wonder if anyone has tried to modify X11 to work this
>way, and if so would it muck up X11 apps?
>
>What I am seeing, from a casual linux users point of view, is that X11
>clipboard is really limited. To do interestin things requires a fair
>amount of programming (my guess) that is left to the application. Now,
>enter Gnome and KDE and they add more functionality, but no commonality.
>So, it seems to me that if the functionality was added to X11 then all
>X11 apps would have the potential to take advantage of the advanced
>clipboard features.

--== Sent via Deja.com ==--
http://www.deja.com/