Re: [vox-tech] Pasting From Netscape

On Wed, 21 Feb 2001, William Kendrick wrote:

> > Hmmm... hadn't played with that, since it doesn't work from an xterm,
> > where the majority of my work is done.
>
> !?!?! *
>
> Highlight some text in an xterm.
> Run a nice safe command like:
>
>   $ cat > /dev/null
>
> Press the middle mousebutton.  The text you had highlighted will get
> spat out (in this case, "cat"-ed to /dev/null) just as if you typed
> it by hand.

Except that I use "button 3", I do that all the time.  Button 2 pulls up a
popup menu.

> Is _that_ what you meant won't work?  And did you really mean Xterm
> and not, say, Virtual Console (eg, "Alt-F1" thru "Alt-F6" on most
> Linux boxes).
>
> If you DID mean a Virtual Console, then you should fire up GPM
> (from gpm(8): "a cut and paste utility and mouse server for virtual consoles")
> :)

I have gpm setup.

You cut out your own words from a prior post:
> Yes, that's irritating.  However, button-2 pasting almost makes up for
> it ;)

I presumed that what you meant by this was that when you are in Netscape,
the popup menu pulled up by button 2 includes a Cut/Copy/Paste that uses a
hidden buffer independent of the selection.  However, I have not been able
to figure out how to put text from an xterm into that buffer, so it is
pretty useless.

Are we on the same frequency yet? :)