Re: [vox-tech] Pasting From Netscape

  • Subject: Re: [vox-tech] Pasting From Netscape
  • From: William Kendrick <nbs@soniMAPSc.net>
  • Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 19:08:19 -0800

Jeff said:

> Do you know of a good place to read about this process... preferably on
> the Web?

I'll dig up my Xlib books tonight and give you some function names to
search for on the web. :)

<snip>
> > If another program "gets the selection," the X server tells the current
> > owner "someone else grabbed the selection," at which point the program,
> > say, usually unhighlights the text.  (in GTK+ apps, they often change
> > the highlight to something with less contrast).
>
> "Usually"?  I haven't found this to be "usual" at
> all.  (click... click... click... three copies of the data appear)

Hrm.. open two Xterms.  Highlight some text in one.  Highlight some
text in the other.  Notice how the text in the first window becomes
unhighlighted at the same time the text in the other becomes highlit. :)

> I find that highlight-based selections don't allow me as much freedom to
> make a place for my paste as having an explicit Copy operator like Alt-C
> does.  For example, I see an interesting URL, select it, go to Netscape,
> left-click at the beginning or end of the URL that is already present, and
> then select and delete the previous URL.  Using an explicit copy command,
> I can select, Copy, select the old URL, optionally delete itand
> Paste, or just Paste and the old URL is replaced.  The inability to select
> again before pasting is very noticeable to me.

Yes, that's irritating.  However, button-2 pasting almost makes up for it ;)