Re: [vox-tech] reading gzip'd files inline

On Mon, Feb 19, 2001 at 01:51:16PM -0800, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> thanks harry and bill!
>
> i should've known better.  one last question though.  i assume that "-" is
> telling vim to read from stdin rather than take a file argument.
>
> i thought it was "--" and not "-".  or am i confusing it with something
> else?

I 'think' (okay, guessing really) that vim is using standard options. On
some other programs putting the "--" at he end tells the program that anything
that follows is a file name.

Vim's man page says:

   --          Denotes  the  end  of  the options.  Arguments
                   after this will be handled  as  a  file  name.
                   This  can  be  used  to  edit  a filename that
                   starts with a '-'.

This seems to be consistent with programs that normally accept file
names. I am pretty sure that 'less' and some other programs use this
convention.