Re: [vox-tech] reading gzip'd files inline

  • Subject: Re: [vox-tech] reading gzip'd files inline
  • From: Harry Souders <MAPSgnulinux@rosecomputing.com>
  • Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2001 12:36:27 -0800

On Mon, Feb 19, 2001 at 11:23:28AM -0800, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> question:
>
> given
>       doc.txt.gz
>       doc.ps.gz
>
> how do i read these file in line?   i've tried:
>
>       gzip -d -c doc.txt.gz | vi
>       gzip -d -c doc.ps.gz | gv
>
> but neither vim nor gv like getting data from stdin.  vim complains about no
> controlling tty and gv just displays nothing.

You were very close.
I was wondering how to do this and meandered through the man pages. The
following should work:

gzip -d --stdout doc.txt.gz | vi -

or like you had:

gzip -d -c doc.txt.gz | vim -

This was done using RH7.0 (not my usual debian) and vim, with vi also
actually being vim.

I could not figure out how to get gv to accept stdin (or is it stdout).

You probably already know this, but in case you don't, "zless" works
great when you just want to view a compressed file.