Re: [vox-tech] RHL 7 and kernel 2.4.0 woes

Re: [vox-tech] RHL 7 and kernel 2.4.0 woes

> dang,  hate to do follow up on my own post, but...
>
> On Thu 15 Feb 01, 11:37 AM, Peter Jay Salzman said:
> > hi jan,
> >
> > jeff took the words right out of my mouth.   :)
> >
> > but let me add to it.  "root=" is indeed a _VALID_
> parameter to pass to the
> > kernel, but it doesn't do what you think it
> should.
> >
> > when you pass "root=" to the kernel, it tells the
> kernel HOW to mount the
> > root filesystem.  the valid entries are "ro", "rw"
> or "debug".   as you can
> > imagine, ro means to mount / as read only.   rw
> means to mount / as read
> > write, and debug effects the "level of importance"
> for which messages are
> > printed to the console during kernel
> initialization.

I'll try that. Thanks :)

> > what you want to do is tell the kernel where to
> FIND the filesystem, not how
> > to mount it.   to do that, you use the "root="
> parameter as a lilo
> > directive, not as a kernel argument (which is what
> append= does).

I tried that with the same outcome.  I saw somewhere
in lilo documentation that that was the way to pass
arguments to the kernel (which was what I was trying
to do when I posted), but that didn't work either.

I saw this on deja, has anyone else seen this (it's
about the new devfs on 2.4.x)?

"For example, what was "/dev/hda" is now likely to
appear
   somewhere under "/dev/ide0" This change
dramatically increases the
   available namespace for devices and allows for
easier integration of
   USB and similar device systems."

If my root fs is on /dev/hda5, would this now be
/dev/ide05?  I have no clue.  Maybe I have to pass
something like: 'root=/dev/ide02' or
'root=/dev/ide05'?  Has anyone seen this before, or am
I barking up the proverbial wrong tree?