Re: [vox-tech] RHL 7 and kernel 2.4.0 woes

Re: [vox-tech] RHL 7 and kernel 2.4.0 woes

dang,  hate to do follow up on my own post, but...

On Thu 15 Feb 01, 11:37 AM, Peter Jay Salzman said:
> hi jan,
>
> jeff took the words right out of my mouth.   :)
>
> but let me add to it.  "root=" is indeed a _VALID_ parameter to pass to the
> kernel, but it doesn't do what you think it should.
>
> when you pass "root=" to the kernel, it tells the kernel HOW to mount the
> root filesystem.  the valid entries are "ro", "rw" or "debug".   as you can
> imagine, ro means to mount / as read only.   rw means to mount / as read
> write, and debug effects the "level of importance" for which messages are
> printed to the console during kernel initialization.
>
> what you want to do is tell the kernel where to FIND the filesystem, not how
> to mount it.   to do that, you use the "root=" parameter as a lilo
> directive, not as a kernel argument (which is what append= does).
>
> some lilo commands get written directly into the kernel itself.  that's why
> you can willy-nilly

of course, i meant "can't".   looks like i'm the willy.  :(

also, i should've said "with all other things being equal".  can't expect a
kernel compiled without ext2 support to work on all machines either.   :)