Re: [vox-tech] ram disk question

  • Subject: Re: [vox-tech] ram disk question
  • From: jdnewmMAPSil@dcn.davis.ca.us
  • Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2001 12:33:26 -0800

On Wed, 14 Feb 2001, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:

> just started playing around with ramdisks.  have a question:
>
> i can cat (or dd) a file to /dev/ram0, but when i try to read ram0, the file
> is definitely in there, but so is a lot of junk afterwards.   catting the
> ramdisk is pretty much chaos after the original file.

Do you make a practice of catting to /dev/hda or /dev/fd0? Storage volumes
have specific sizes.  If you want to work with specific-length files, you
need a filesystem. minix works good for ramdisks.

> can i resize the ramdisk to the size of the original file?

I think you are limited to the size you spec when the ramdisk driver is
initialized, though it doesn't actually allocate all of the physical
memory until you ask for it.

> or is the idea to put some kind of EOF character at the end?  (if so, how
> does one do that?)

Filesystem.