Re: [vox-tech] ram disk question

  • Subject: Re: [vox-tech] ram disk question
  • From: Bill Broadley <bMAPSill@math.ucdavis.edu>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2001 12:26:51 -0800

Ummm yes when you dump crap to a raw device, and then you cat it you
get what you put there, and any other crap that was uninitialized after
it.

I suspect you want to do something like mkfs /dev/ram0 ; mount /dev/ram0 /mnt/ram;
copy file /dev/ram or similar... or maybe I'm missing something.

On Wed, Feb 14, 2001 at 12:30:10PM -0800, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> just started playing around with ramdisks.  have a question:
>
> i can cat (or dd) a file to /dev/ram0, but when i try to read ram0, the file
> is definitely in there, but so is a lot of junk afterwards.   catting the
> ramdisk is pretty much chaos after the original file.
>
> can i resize the ramdisk to the size of the original file?
>
> or is the idea to put some kind of EOF character at the end?  (if so, how
> does one do that?)

Oh if you really wanted to do that \0 is null, echo might need
an option like -n or similar to send literals.