[vox-tech] RHL 7 and kernel 2.4.0 woes

  • Subject: [vox-tech] RHL 7 and kernel 2.4.0 woes
  • From: Jan Wynholds <jcwynholds@yahoo.MAPScom>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2001 12:16:24 -0800

This is a story of my frustration.

I tried to compile the kernel 2.4.0 that lugod passed
out a while back.  I have been eagerly awaiting the
chance to do so.  So last night, I pulled up my
sleeves, and tried to get the darn thing running.  No
dice.  Here is what happened (as I remember, as this
was in the wee small hours of the morning).

# make mrproper

Then I edited the makefile so that it would use kgcc
instead of gcc.

Then I tried

# make xconfig

That went great

# make dep

No errors

# make bzImage

Some warnings, but everything ran to completion.

# make install

Everything kosher.

# make modules

No errors, really.

# make modules_install

During the make install, lilo reported no errors, and
everything seemed fine.  Only when I rebooted and
tried it out, it hung.  And never booted.  I looked
through deja and a few others, but only found
references to using kgcc instead of gcc.  If it would
help anyone, I'll try it again and post the output of
kgcc, and so forth.  I was just wondering if anyone
else had this experience and if they had a solution.
BTW, I am running rhl 7.0 with (most of) the recent
updates.

Am I an idiot?  I really was frustrated when I went to
sleep.  Should I be trying the 2.4.1 kernel?

Thanks a million.

Jan