Re: [vox-tech] help - potato question

  • Subject: Re: [vox-tech] help - potato question
  • From: jdnewmil@dcn.davis.cMAPSa.us
  • Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2001 00:15:27 -0800

On Tue, 13 Feb 2001, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:

> dear all,
>
> i noticed that there is a user "sashroot" on my system at school.  it's a
> passworded account:
>
>       sashroot:ujWvXNpelBUkc:11055:0:99999:7:::
>
> i just disabled it.
>
> do any other potato users have this account?  i'm getting a little spooked
> about hackers on this system.

Google sez it is commonly used as a way to be root with a sash shell,
which is less susceptible to social engineering tricks like the trojaned
"ls" trick described by Dr. Bishop at our last meeting.  Oops... you
missed that..

Of course, if you don't know what the password is, it could just as well
be used by anyone else as by you...