Re: [vox-tech] Journaling File Systems

On Tue, Feb 13, 2001 at 10:33:19AM -0800, Micah Cowan wrote:
> Okay, this makes sense.  However, is it fair to assume that the
> /majority/ of data corruption occurs from incomplete transactions?  So

I'd disagree.  Journaling provides no more protection then ext2, it
just allows you to reboot faster.

Most "corruptions" seem to be an actual error.

> perhaps the combination of using a jfs and doing an fsck every 6
> mos. is a good practice.

UGH.  You want to find that your directory of email, source code,
invoices, or whatever important but infrequently used files are corrupt
6 months after the fact (on average 3 months).

>  And in my admittedly little-informed
> opinion, it would still seem better than relying on ext2, since
> fscking an unjournaled file system in response to power loss would
> seem to rely on more "guesswork" about what was supposed to be there
> versus having a record.

Umm, how so?  ext2 keeps multiple copies of the superblock, theres
a fair bit of redundancy, fsck is good at repairing filesystems, and
often even in fairly bad cases will move a file to /lost+found, which
requires manual inftervention, but does allow recovery.

In the journaled fileystem or ext2 partial writes result in corruptions
of files/metadata written inconsistently righ before a power failure.

> For my part, I don't have sensitive enough data to warrant a
> reevaluation of my fs at home - that data which is sensitive to me, I
> keep backed up as often as I can manage.  I plan on using the
> journalling ext3 when it's in a release-phase.

Well it's pretty easy to see the advantage, for instance I'm grabbing a
photo every second from a webcam, originally I put them in
a directory per day.  At 86400 files the directory operations were
quite slow, I'd expect reiserfs to be much better in this scenario.

Usenew/nntp servers will likely enjoy a similar advantage on reiserfs.

Just wanted to caution people that journaling FS's aren't a magic boot,
they do allow faster reboots, but offer less of a guarentee of filesystem
integrity when they do.