Re: [vox-tech] Journaling File Systems

On Tue, Feb 13, 2001 at 10:11:48AM -0800, Bill Broadley wrote:
> In a theoretical world where no sector dies, no corrupted data gets
> written, no valid data ends up on the wrong block, and no OS, application,
> or device driver errors your correct.
>
> You should only lose data that was never writen or happens to be in the
> journal as having been partially completed are lost.
>
> But in the real world corruptions do happen, and just because a
> transaction is completed and removed from the journal does not mean that
> the large elaborate datastructure that contains the disks metadata is
> not corrupted.
>
> Theres no way to verify similar without actually reading it and double
> checking whatever checksums, consistancy checks, and redundant info
> checks.
>
> So basically you can be MUCH more sure of a disk that has been fscked
> and reported no errors then you can be a journaled filesystem where the
> os double checks the transaction journal and deems the filesystem "clean".

Okay, this makes sense.  However, is it fair to assume that the
/majority/ of data corruption occurs from incomplete transactions?  So
perhaps the combination of using a jfs and doing an fsck every 6
mos. is a good practice.  And in my admittedly little-informed
opinion, it would still seem better than relying on ext2, since
fscking an unjournaled file system in response to power loss would
seem to rely on more "guesswork" about what was supposed to be there
versus having a record.

Am I totally off on this?

For my part, I don't have sensitive enough data to warrant a
reevaluation of my fs at home - that data which is sensitive to me, I
keep backed up as often as I can manage.  I plan on using the
journalling ext3 when it's in a release-phase.

Micah