Re: [vox-tech] fetchmail and ssh

On Tue, Feb 13, 2001 at 03:37:23AM -0800, jdnewmil@dcn.davis.ca.us wrote:
> > also, i feel ashamed to ask this, but what exactly is the difference between
> > ssh, ssl and kerberos?
>
> I am not exactly sure of the details, but from what I know ssh builds a
> general purpose encrypted point-to-point tunnel using one protocol, ssl
> does something similar with a different protocol, and kerberos is a system
> of centralizing managment of security in a network.  ssh key managment is
> pretty ad-hoc, ssl key management is pretty one-sided (using certifying
> authorities like Verisign), and kerberos is for a large organization.

>From what I understand, ssh is pretty much rsh over ssl.

Pete, how is your POP server set up exactly - does it just forward the
connection over SSL?  (port 995 is the standard one for that).
Because that's typically how mine is;  I don't know what version of
fetchmail you use, but the later ones support an "ssl" statement in
the .fetchmailrc (or an --ssl option) which doesn't require you to
pipe through ssh...

Micah