Re: [vox-tech] Really easy question

On Mon, 12 Feb 2001, William Kendrick wrote:

> > How do I untar to a specified directory?
> >
> > That is I have /mnt/cd/something.tar.gz (i.e. on my CD)
> > and I want to untar it to /usr/local/src/...
> >
> > Instead of copying the file to /usr/local/src and untarring it there.
>
> Simple!  Just cd into the directory you want to untar into
> (ie, "cd /usr/local/src"), and then specify the tar file's relative
> or absolute path when you run tar (ie, "tar -xzf /mnt/cd/some.tar.gz")

I find it is usually prudent to do

$ cd /usr/local/src
$ tar tzvf /mnt/cd/some.tar.gz | less
  # note "-" is not normally used with tar

and inspect the output to insure that it puts all the files into their own
directory rather than spewing multiple files and subdirectories into
/usr/local/src like some poorly-constructed tarballs do.  If it doesn't, I
can create the directory myself, cd there, and proceed as bill suggested.