Re: [vox-tech] Monitor

On Fri, 5 Jan 2001, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> incorrect modelines will cause visual clues before aural ones.   low refresh
> rates (or equivalently, very large VSR/HSR) will make you feel like you're

Crud.  The refresh rate *is* very poor; here I'd thought it was because
I'd picked a conservative setup.  So yes, there are visual clues.

> i've heard monitors make loud sounds before, but it's always been waaaay
> poorly configured; you could tell visually something was wrong immediately.

I wouldn't call it loud, just annoying.

> my vote goes for either defective or cheap equipment.  what make and model
> is the monitor?

It's a Samsung SyncMaster--a very nice monitor.  It could be defective but
it's not cheap.  Based on what you said, though, I think it's set up
wrong.  What should I do (well, aside from switching back to the old
monitor while I figure things out)?  I do think the modeline is right
(resolution and horizontal and vertical rates are all within allowable
specs according to the monitor's manual), unless there's some subtlety I'm
missing.  It's a flatscreen and not a CRT, though when I was setting up
the laptop I didn't notice a difference in the setup procedures.

Thanks!

--nicole twn

***
"Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever."--Napoleon Bonaparte