Re: [vox-tech] Terminal Emulation for Router Testing and Setup

  • Subject: Re: [vox-tech] Terminal Emulation for Router Testing and Setup
  • From: Harry Souders <gnulMAPSinux@rosecomputing.com>
  • Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2001 23:23:42 -0800

On Wed, Jan 03, 2001 at 12:47:44PM -0500, Rusty Minden wrote:
> Our Network LAN Administarator is interested in using Linux and he needs to
> know how to test his CISCO Routers with Terminal Emulation. He currently

I know nothing about CISCO Routers, but I'd guess that if the router is
connected to his network that he likely can 'telnet' to it with the
apropriate address and whatever port that it uses.

If he is connecting to it via serial cable or modem then my guess would
be to use 'minicom'. You can think of minicom in similar terms as
hyperterminal.

I remember when hyperterm first came with win95. It only worked with
modems or serial connections. I believe later versions supported telnet.
So the decision to use 'telnet' or 'minicom' really depends on how he is
accessing the router.