Re: [vox-tech] Router acting funny

  • Subject: Re: [vox-tech] Router acting funny
  • From: Mark Kim <mkkiMAPSm@ucdavis.edu>
  • Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2001 09:49:57 -0800

On Wed, 3 Jan 2001, Rich Cook wrote:

> So I wonder why the disk was thrashing?

"top" showed several copies of logrotate running very busily.  A copy
of gzip was also running (to gzip logs, I assume).  My guess is something
went wrong and they got into a race condition or something.

> How do you explain the reboots?

The machine didn't reboot on its own.  *I* rebooted the system.

> Does a roommate play with the
> machine as well?

He only has a user access, only because we used to use the dialup through
the system (he had an account so he can type "/sbin/ifup ppp0").  He
doesn't log in anymore now that we have a 24/7 access, and "last" shows he
hasn't logged on in a while.

> I agree the thrashings could be a defragger and security
> warnings may be your old nmap settings,

Cool.  So no problems.

> That makes sense.  How long would it take to reinstall Linux
> nowadays, I'm curious.  (I use Mac OS X right now, sort of a new
> Linux, if you will).

Installation probably takes not long if I knew exactly what packages to
check/uncheck but since I don't I'd need to go through the whole
list.  Also I'd need to add ssh server, portsentry, setup tcp wrapper,
etc.

-Mark

---
Mark K. Kim