[vox-tech] gps software for Linux

  • Subject: [vox-tech] gps software for Linux
  • From: Chris Lupo <lupo@ece.uMAPScdavis.edu>
  • Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2001 08:50:42 -0800

My super-cool Xmas gift this year is a Garmin eMap GPS receiver.  Nice
display (though not color), backlight, and quite a bit of built-in map
detail for North and South America.

It even came with an 8MB data card for downloading additional maps and
waypoints from the computer.  This brings me to my point.

Do any other LUGOD members have a GPS receiver that they interface with a
Linux machine?  If so, what software do they/you use?  There are two types
of software that I'm interested in: first is the additional map software
which lets you download detailed city/street maps, topographic maps, etc;
the second is the stuff that actually communicates with the receiver via,
say, a serial port.

For the former, I've found nothing for Linux which is not really
unexpected.  For the latter, a Freshmeat search turned up something called
GPSMan(ager).  Downloaded and installed fine, but doesn't seem to see the
receiver. 8-( My unit is the first one listed on the compatible receivers
list, and I know both my serial ports (/dev/ttyS0(1)) are working because
I use gphoto to talk to my digital camera all the time.

I'm using the serial cable that came with the receiver.  I've tried both
ports.  I've tried with the receiver powered on and powered off.  GPSMan
tells me its trying to establish connection for about 10 seconds, then
times out and tells me the unit is offline.

There's unfortunately not much in the way of documentation for GPSMan,
and the docs for the receiver say to buy the pricey Garmin-for-Windows
stuff they sell, so I thought I'd ask the group.

Thanks,
-- Chris

(comin' at ya from
N 38d 32.286'