January 6: Social gathering

Re: [vox-tech] Zombie Processes

On Fri, 26 Jan 2001, Jan Wynholds wrote:

> Hey all:
>
> Just had an eeeeenteresting thing happen to me at work
> yesterday.  Here is a brief rendition of the
> occurances (oh, this is on a RHL 6.2):
>
> 1. A win98 program that interfaces a pgsql db crashed.
> 2. The TCP handler for the db records 'freaked out'
> and tried to kill the instance that was handling the
> rec's (from the win98 box).
> 3. The kill failed, and left a bunch of <defunct>
> (zombie) processes languishing.

Zombie processes are dead and gone... you are only seeing the record that
they existed, kept around so their parent process can read their exit
status.  This is a bug in the parent process, in that it did not extract
the exit status of the child process.

http://www.landfield.com/faqs/unix-faq/programmer/faq/ section 1.6

[...]