[vox-tech] Zombie Processes

  • Subject: [vox-tech] Zombie Processes
  • From: Jan Wynholds <jcwynMAPSholds@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2001 14:37:37 -0800

Hey all:

Just had an eeeeenteresting thing happen to me at work
yesterday.  Here is a brief rendition of the
occurances (oh, this is on a RHL 6.2):

1. A win98 program that interfaces a pgsql db crashed.
2. The TCP handler for the db records 'freaked out'
and tried to kill the instance that was handling the
rec's (from the win98 box).
3. The kill failed, and left a bunch of <defunct>
(zombie) processes languishing.

When I saw this, I just tried:

# kill -9 [pid]

To no avail.  So, I tried:

# kill -s 9 [pid]

Still, no dice.

So I was left with the (not so great) solution of
restarting the machine.  This killed the zombie
processes alright, but it seemed to me to be a M$
approach to the problem, if anyone can shed some light
on why or what happened, I would be grateful.  I
looked on a linux-kerned mail list and found that this
was a kernel bug having to do with threading.  Has
anyone else seen this kind of thing before?  If so
what has your solutions been?

Thanks in advance....

Jan