Re: [vox-tech] numerical packages in C?

mark, thanks for the tip.  if nobody has the CD, i plan on taking a trip to
the library to check it out.

rhonda and i wrote a program to invert a matrix using gauss-jordan with full
pivoting (searching both rows and columns for the optimal pivot point, and
switching both rows and columns).

i learned A LOT from the excersize.   for example, let A be a square matrix.
let R(1,2) be a transformation that switches rows 1 and 2.  C(1,2) does the
same except with columns.

suppose you want to find the inverse of A, but instead find the inverse of

        M = R(1,2)C(2,3)R(1,5)C(11,2)C(2,3)A

then you invert M to get Minv.  to get Ainv...

        Ainv = C(1,2)R(2,3)C(1,5)R(11,2)R(2,3)Minv

this is the opposite of the "shoes and socks" property, but it makes perfect
sense when you consider how matrix multiplication works.

anyway, i learned lots of little stuff like this that i never knew before.

i plan on writing some routines like this (eigenvalue solver, etc) and make
them into a static library.

pete

--
Just upgraded to Woody?  Don't have permission to run X?              linux
In Xwrapper.config, change allowed_users from root to console.          -