Re: [vox-tech] mutt question

On Thu, Jan 11, 2001 at 04:28:46PM -0800, Harry Souders wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 11, 2001 at 01:53:18PM -0800, Micah Cowan wrote:
> > I've been meaning to do something very similar to this, but was also
> > thinking of doing it for the login message, etc.  I was planning on
> > doing it exactly like this, but in C instead of Perl, and using the
> > strfile format (the one /usr/games/fortune uses).
>
> Setting up the fortune stuff wasn't too difficult.
> I suppose I could write a 'do-it-yourself-fortune mini HOW-TO', but
> someone probably already has.

I know how to set up fortune.  That's not really what I'm trying to do.

> > Actually, if I really wanted to make it suitable for login messages,
> > etc., I'd have to either make *absolutely* sure that the deamon is
> > running (probably via inittab), or maybe make a custom kernel module
> > out of it.  It'd be a Bad Thing(tm) for getty to block on io so no one
> > could log in...
>
> Most of the distos gave you the fortune at login. The first FreeBSD and
> linux distros I tried did. It's not so common now. I believe they used
> a login script in .bashrc or .bash_profile or the more likely the system
> wide config in /etc/bashrc. I think the check for an interactive login
> was via a shell or term variable.

I should have been clearer.  I wasn't speaking of a message which is
displayed after you login, I was speaking of basically making
/etc/issue a FIFO.  The problem I was speaking of is that if you try
to do something like that, you are asking for trouble if the program
on the "write" end of the pipe isn't running.

Micah