Re: [vox-tech] mutt question

On Thu, Jan 11, 2001 at 01:53:18PM -0800, Micah Cowan wrote:
> I've been meaning to do something very similar to this, but was also
> thinking of doing it for the login message, etc.  I was planning on
> doing it exactly like this, but in C instead of Perl, and using the
> strfile format (the one /usr/games/fortune uses).

Setting up the fortune stuff wasn't too difficult.
I suppose I could write a 'do-it-yourself-fortune mini HOW-TO', but
someone probably already has.

> Actually, if I really wanted to make it suitable for login messages,
> etc., I'd have to either make *absolutely* sure that the deamon is
> running (probably via inittab), or maybe make a custom kernel module
> out of it.  It'd be a Bad Thing(tm) for getty to block on io so no one
> could log in...

Most of the distos gave you the fortune at login. The first FreeBSD and
linux distros I tried did. It's not so common now. I believe they used
a login script in .bashrc or .bash_profile or the more likely the system
wide config in /etc/bashrc. I think the check for an interactive login
was via a shell or term variable.