January 6: Social gathering

Re: [vox-tech] does anyone know how to hack into other pple's computer?

On Tue, Jan 09, 2001 at 02:58:29PM -0800, Chan Yan Huang wrote:
> I mean the real stuff.  to hack into my friend's computer when he is
> online.  let's assume he is using school dial up.  and window me.
> what should i do to hack into his computer? (trace his ip first? or
> politely ask him for his password?  or ???  ) even if you don't know
> the solution, please contribute or provide some links.
> thankyouverymuch ^)^

This is a somewhat lengthy post, so bear with me.  And please read
through it, so you don't misinterpret one part of it.

There would seem to be some confusion regarding this term "hack".  Hopefully
these definitions might clear up the misunderstanding:

WordNet:
     n 1: someone who plays golf poorly
     2: a programmer for whom computing is its own reward; may enjoy
        the challenge of breaking into other computers
     3: one who works hard at boring tasks [syn: {hack}, {drudge}]

The Free On-line Dictionary of Computing:
        <person, jargon> (Originally, someone who makes furniture with
        an axe) 1. A person who enjoys exploring the details of
        programmable systems and how to stretch their capabilities, as
        opposed to most users, who prefer to learn only the minimum
        necessary.

        2. One who programs enthusiastically (even obsessively) or who
        enjoys programming rather than just theorizing about
        programming.

        3. A person capable of appreciating {hack value}.

        4. A person who is good at programming quickly.

        5. An expert at a particular program, or one who frequently
        does work using it or on it; as in "a {Unix} hacker".
        (Definitions 1 through 5 are correlated, and people who fit
        them congregate.)

        6. An expert or enthusiast of any kind.  One might be an
        astronomy hacker, for example.

        7. One who enjoys the intellectual challenge of creatively
        overcoming or circumventing limitations.

        8. (Deprecated) A malicious meddler who tries to discover
        sensitive information by poking around.  Hence "password
        hacker", "network hacker".  The correct term is {cracker}.

        The term "hacker" also tends to connote membership in the
        global community defined by the net (see {The Network} and
        {Internet address}).  It also implies that the person
        described is seen to subscribe to some version of the {hacker
        ethic}.

        It is better to be described as a hacker by others than to
        describe oneself that way.  Hackers consider themselves
        something of an elite (a meritocracy based on ability), though
        one to which new members are gladly welcome.  Thus while it is
        gratifying to be called a hacker, false claimants to the title
        are quickly labelled as "{bogus}" or a "{wannabee}".

        9. (University of Maryland, rare) A programmer who does not
        understand proper programming techniques and principles and
        doesn't have a Computer Science degree.  Someone who just
        bangs on the keyboard until something happens.  For example,
        "This program is nothing but {spaghetti code}.  It must have
        been written by a hacker".

Note especially the 8th definition of the FOLDOC.  The correct term
for the sort of activity described in your email is "cracking", not
"hacking" - and many hackers (there are quite a few on this list)
would be offended by your innocent mistake (myself being one of them).

A note on cracking:

Being a hacker often involves learning the same knowledge and
techniques as a cracker might employ to break into a system.
Certainly any hacker of some experience is probably more than able to
compromise security.  Additionally, most hackers, especially new ones,
are attracted to the concept of having this unique ability or "power"
over computer systems.  I still am ;) .  However, a true hacker finds
quickly that there are much more incredible abilities and powers to
gain in the field of computers than the trivial ones related to
security compromise.

Having said all this (please take it to heart), a great resource which
you may find of use is:

http://www.happyhacker.org/gtmhh/index.shtml

The information therein is not always 100% accurate, but near enough.
It is also written by a security consultant, who knows enough of the
differences to warn you not to maliciously use knowledge.

If the most cracking you ever do is light pranks on your friend,
especially with his consent, I have no problem with that.  Cracking
systems *legally* can be a great way to enter the world of hacking.

Micah