[vox-tech] sshd issue

Been using ssh for quite some time now, but haven't had a need to run
sshd.  Now I do.  Read the fine manual, looked at the config file, and
just decided to run it.

# sshd

Running with defaults (port 22, /usr/local/etc/sshd_config, etc.)

>From a remote machine (HPUX machine in ece dept. on campus that is running
ssh version 2.0.something) I type

$ ssh my.ip.address

where my ip address is my dynamic dotted quad.

It tells me it's connected, and prompts for my password.  I enter my
password, and it prompts me for my password again (and again and
again...).

My system log says Password authentication failed.

Any ideas what I've missed here?

Thanks,
-- Chris