Re: [vox-tech] ftp server problem

  • Subject: Re: [vox-tech] ftp server problem
  • From: Leo Rainer <lirainer@dMAPSavisenergy.com>
  • Date: Tue, 09 Jan 2001 13:13:17 -0800

Sounds like your ~ftp/bin/ls is not set up correctly. Take a look at the
wu-ftp guest HOWTO (http://www.wu-ftpd.org/HOWTO/guest.HOWTO). To quote
from the HOWTO:

   This is the single most FAQ on the wu-ftpd list.  Repeating: if you
   cannot see the contents of the directory, your installed 'ls' is not
   working.  The proper installation procedures for 'ls' vary by operating
   system.  There are some OS specific notes at the bottom of this howto
   that may be of help.

        ...leo

At 11:03 AM 1/9/01 -0800, you wrote:
>I've got an odd problem with my ftp server. I'm running wu-2.6.0(1) my
>/etc/ftpaccess is below. The problem is that my collaborator can not
>list files in /ftp, which they must to get their ftp client to function
>(they are using the Apple client 'Interarchy'). I have no problem
>listing files when I log in as an anonymous user locally, but when I go
>through my SunOS account at UCB, I have to use ls -l to list files (ls
>itself finds no files). Has anyone heard of ftp client-server
>incompatibility with listing? Or am I missing the obvious?
>
>class   all   real,guest  *
>class anonftp anonymous *
>email root@sagresdiscovery.com
>
>loginfails 5
>
>readme  README*    login
>readme  README*    cwd=*
>
>message /welcome.msg   login
>message .message       cwd=*
>
>noretrieve .notar
>noretrieve /home/ftp/incoming
>
>upload /home/ftp * no
>upload /home/ftp /incoming yes ftp ftp 0440 nodirs
>
>compress        yes    all
>tar             yes     all
>chmod           no      guest
>delete          no      guest
>overwrite       no      guest
>rename          no      guest
>log transfers   anonymous,real  inbound,outbound
>
>shutdown /etc/shutmsg
>
>passwd-check rfc822 warn
>chmod           yes     real
>delete          yes     real
>overwrite       yes     real
>rename          yes     real
>
>--
>Eric Engelhard

Leo Rainer                                 Email:   lirainer@davisenergy.com
Davis Energy Group                         Phone:               530.753.1100
123 C Street                               Fax:                 530.753.4125
Davis, CA  95616                           Web:   http://www.davisenergy.com
Energy Analysis     *      Mechanical Design       *     Product Engineering