Re: [vox-tech] Red Hat Soundblaster Setup

Re: [vox-tech] Red Hat Soundblaster Setup

> use updatedb to update locate's database.

A few gotchya's... If you cannot see the file yourself (ie, if you KNEW
where it was, but couldn't cd there or ls there), locate on most modern
systems won't show it to you, even though it's in the database.
(This is because, in fact, the system has "slocate", secure-locate, installed)

Also, updatedb must be run as root (and takes a long time).  To me, it's
more of a quick way of doing "find" more than a quick way of doing "which".

Of course, either ("locate" or "find") can be 'trained' to be more
which-like.  (I'll get you, my pretty!)  Just use grep.  For example:

  locate netscape | grep bin

This will keep you from seeing a gazillian "/home/user/.netscape/cache/..."
files, man pages, Java DLL's, HTML help files, and other crud you don't
want.

Of course, one learns quickly about "grep -v" ;)

  locate netscape | grep -v cache | grep -v man | grep -v -i htm

Enjoy!