Re: [vox-tech] dsl ideas

On Sun, 3 Dec 2000, Jay wrote:

> I thought the idea behind 5 ips is:

This is "an" idea... one of many possible...

> 1 ip firewall/NAT/Router/Gateway (3 NICs, 1 for external, 1 for your internal, 1
> for your DMZ
>
> DMZ

Not sure what you mean by lumping "DMZ" with individual ip numbers... a
DMZ is a network... a group of ip numbers.

> 2 ips DNS

Seems better to arrange for someone else to handle your backup DNS

> 2 - pop/imap, HTTP, SMPT, and whatever else external services

5 ips arises because a 29 bit netmask leaves 3 bits for your network,
which would be 8 addresses except that the network and broadcast addresses
are usually reserved, and the isp needs to keep an address to configure
the upstream router with.  This is about the smallest practical network
size.