Re: [vox-tech] ftp question

  • Subject: Re: [vox-tech] ftp question
  • From: jdnewmil@dcn.daviMAPSs.ca.us
  • Date: Sun, 03 Dec 2000 20:46:01 -0800

On Sun, 3 Dec 2000, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:

> can someone shed light on what might be causing this message:

maybe, but it might be infrared...

> # ftp belial.ucdavis.edu
> Connected to belial.ucdavis.edu.
> 220 ProFTPD 1.2.0pre10 Server (ProFTPD) [belial.ucdavis.edu]
> Name (belial.ucdavis.edu:root): p
> 331 Password required for p.
> Password:
> 230 User p logged in.
> Remote system type is UNIX.
> Using binary mode to transfer files.
> ftp> ls
> 500 Illegal PORT command.
> ftp: bind: Address already in use
> ftp>

I think the server is complaining in its confused way that it cannot open
an active connection back to your machine at the port your client told it
to go to.

As Ted suggests, you need to load ip_masq_ftp.o in your firewall.

Also, you need to make sure that outside machines can send packets from
their port 20 to your ports 61000-65095 (standard masquerading range) and
you can send out to their port 20.  Watch your /var/log/messages on the
firewall if you still can't connect after loading the ip_masq_ftp module.

Or skip it all and just use passive, as Gabriel said.