Re: [vox-tech] ftp question

  • Subject: Re: [vox-tech] ftp question
  • From: Ted Deppner <tMAPSed@psyber.com>
  • Date: Sun, 03 Dec 2000 17:40:43 -0800

On Sun, Dec 03, 2000 at 05:16:01PM -0800, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> ftp> ls
> 500 Illegal PORT command.
> ftp: bind: Address already in use

Some relevant (or respective) IP numbers would help... are you behind a
firewall, masquerading router, etc, etc [1]?  Are you running a 2.4 series
kernel [2]?

My first guess is misconfigured firewall, totally a shot in the dark
though.

Drop in some info we can narrow it in.  :)

[1]  and haven't loaded the requisite module for handling FTP traffic?

[2]  and the remote server has a problem with TCP ECN (Explicit Congestion
Notification) bits which 2.4 has on by default in certain kernel builds?
This is the problem if you find that you cannot browse www.ibm.com.
"echo 0 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_ecn" to turn off ECN in a 2.4 kernel.

--
Ted Deppner
http://www.psyber.com/~ted/