Re: [vox-tech] dsl ideas

  • Subject: Re: [vox-tech] dsl ideas
  • From: Ted Deppner <MAPSted@psyber.com>
  • Date: Sun, 03 Dec 2000 17:28:58 -0800

On Sun, Dec 03, 2000 at 02:17:52PM -0800, Gabriel Rosa wrote:
> Since there's 5 real ip's, i figured i'd take 6 ports on the switch and
> isolate them. DSL modem goes into one port, all real ip machines go into other
> port, including router.

Cisco calls these things "VLANs", or Virtual LANs.  If you really have a
switch capable of VLANs you have a $1000 switch... if it didn't cost that
much you may not have VLANs, and therefore no real guarantee that your
packets will route through your router box between the two VLANs.

> Since the router has 2 NIC's, it would bridge the 2 networks. The internal NIC
> would simply connect to the other vlan on the switch (however many ports for
> internal use) and the other machines would all be there.

Routers route... you don't want it to "bridge".  I'll assuming you
misspoke.

> This seems pretty simple, so i'm wondering if anyone sees a problem with this
> or even better, a better (simple) solution.

It would work, and many people do it that way... however, if you want
protection from that nasty DSL line and all the internet, you may consider
putting the DSL into your router directly on it's own NIC (with a
crossover type cable), then your two lans (public server lan and private
MASQuerade/NAT LAN) each on their own NIC for increased security.  This
would be a total of three NICs in your router.

Otherwise, using the method you outlined, each of your publically
available servers would need to have it's own firewall type configuration,
and you'd be more at risk.

> -Gabriel (somewhat ashamed of his crude ascii) :)

I didn't even try... :)

--
Ted Deppner
http://www.psyber.com/~ted/