Re: [vox-tech] Audio suddenly broken

  • Subject: Re: [vox-tech] Audio suddenly broken
  • From: Peter Jay Salzman <p@belMAPSial.ucdavis.edu>
  • Date: Fri, 01 Dec 2000 11:05:46 -0800

what was the last adminly type thing that you did to this machine?

like, when did you install 4.0?

call me paranoid, but do an ls -lt of the kernel you're currently running
and insmod.   make sure it doesn't say something absurd like today or
yesterday.

if it's nothing like that, then unresolved symbols are most often caused
by module dependencies on a module that failed to load (say, it didn't get
the IRQ it needed).

it's hard to do armchair admining, but try:

1. boot into sinle user mode

2. assuming you didn't get the errors yet, cd into your favorite runlevel.

3. start running your services, one by one in the correct order, till you
   find the culprit.

pete

On Fri, 1 Dec 2000, William Kendrick wrote:

> Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2000 10:48:31 -0800 (PST)
> From: William Kendrick <nbs@sonic.net>
> To: vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
> Subject: [vox-tech] Audio suddenly broken