Re: [vox-tech] E-mail recipient?

  • Subject: Re: [vox-tech] E-mail recipient?
  • From: Peter Jay Salzman <p@dirac.MAPSorg>
  • Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2000 21:47:49 -0800

not quite, or at least, not how i know it.  here's what i think i know.  the
> indicates what i type, but it's not actually there.  note, this is
somewhat of a paraphrase.

telnet houseag.com 25
Escape character is '^]'.
Welcome to houseag.com.  I run Exim.  Please greet yourself
> helo dirac.org
Hello, dirac.org.  Pleased to meet you.
p@dirac.org is syntactically correct
> rcpt to: hajhouse@houseag.org
Recipient is ok.
Subject: This is spam
From: Your@financial.advisor
To: Undisclosed List

You can bet you'll make a million dollars on this!
.

the headers are everything that starts when you write "data" and ends with a
blank line.  everything after the blank line till the . by itself is the
body.

whatever isn't in the header or body never gets seen.

so this email will get to hajhouse@houseag.com, even though if you look at
the headers, it'll say:

        From: Your@financial.advisor

Furthermore, it will appear to be sent from:

        From: Your@financial.advisor

although if you look at certain headers, you'll be able to tell what host
(but not what user) sent the mail.   headers that you can normally trust are
Path and usually message-id.  very often message-id can get forged too if
you hack the MTA.

pete
On Sat 16 Dec 00,  8:47 PM, Henry House said...

--
Just upgraded to Woody?  Don't have permission to run X?             linux
In Xwrapper.config, change allowed_users from root to console.         -