Re: [vox-tech] On-line reference

On Thu, Dec 14, 2000 at 12:36:59PM -0800, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> On Thu 14 Dec 00,  3:04 PM, George Thomas Finch said...
> > Can any one recommend a good on-line source that explains that default
> > directories, where linux installs program files, like vi, gimp, wordperfect,
> > netscape, etc. And where best to put directories that will be accessed over a
> > network by other computers?

It is traditional to put directories that will be mounted by other hosts in
the network into / and give them names that clearly state their purpose,
e.g., /export, /samba, etc.

As Pete explained, most distribution files (incl. executables like vi and
gimp) go into subdirectories of /usr. It is also common to have a directory
/opt ('options') for commercial software that the administrator has added but
did not come with the operating system. WordPerfect would probably go there
or in /usr/local.

The Unix and Linux filesystem is flexible. Only a few directories are
absolutely required (/etc and /bin). The rest exists by convention and are
designed to keep the thousands of files on a workstation or server organized
by their purpose, the degree to which they are essential to the system, and
their method of packaging.

I believe the Linux Journal has an article this month about the proposed
filesystem hierarchy standard, which seeks to codify common practice to
facilitate interoperability of software between distributions.

--
Henry House