Re: [vox-tech] html question

  • Subject: Re: [vox-tech] html question
  • From: William Kendrick <nbMAPSs@sonic.net>
  • Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2000 13:32:35 -0800

> i'm looking at the source for the page:
>
>       http://www.linuxuniversity.net

The site's not responding right now, so I can't look at it.  But...

> and can't figure out two things:
>
> 1. how are the lines around the boxes drawn?  i would've thought that would
>    be the border=3D"1" attribute for <table>, but apparently, it's not.

Perhaps something like this:

  <!-- Begin "border" table (black (#000000)) -->

    <!-- Begin "inner" table (white (#FFFFFF)) -->

    width=100%><tr><td>

      <!-- Content for this bordered table... -->

      Blah blah blah blah

    <!-- End "inner" table -->

  <!-- End "border" table -->

Of course, having some of that whitespace before the inner table's
"<table>" tag and after it's "</table>" tag could cause a little
messiness (because of the text space character the the browser might
try to shove in there next to the inner table; hence causing a thicker
black border on one side or the other), but you get the jist.

> 2. how does the background image (the black part) "know" how far down to
>    go so that all the content fits within the white part of the page?

Really can't tell without seeing, but it sounds suspiciously like it's
not a background image; that it's just an inline.  Or maybe some more
table trickery.

I wonder why the server's not responding... <:^(