January 6: Social gathering

Re: [vox-tech] help please!

that won't work -- remember, i said

        if the list of installed packages was in that directory

he can't reinstall the packages, over-writing the existing files for the
very basic reason that there's no list of the packages!

reinstalling the packages implies you know what packages to reinstall.

he could take a guess as to what was installed or not, but that would leave
orphan config files and executables all over the system that could cause
mondo trouble down the road.

this is the inherent weakness of a strong centralized government...  the
master list of installed rpms is like the registry.  a more benign registry,
but nevertheless, something you don't want to hose!!    :)

pete

On Thu 07 Dec 00, 10:40 AM, Henry House said...

--
To err is human, to forgive is divine.      p@belial.ucdavis.edu     _