Re: [vox-tech] small problems!

  • Subject: Re: [vox-tech] small problems!
  • From: Henry House <hajhouse@housMAPSeag.com>
  • Date: Wed, 06 Dec 2000 11:02:50 -0800

On Tue, Dec 05, 2000 at 06:05:29AM +0000, Gudmundur Bjarnason wrote:
> I use midnight commander (mc) for my system work and it used to
> work just fine until not so long ago when it all of a sudden wouldn't
> let me have a shell, i.e. I could press ^o and see the shell but whichever
> button I pressed there it always brought me straight back into mc, that is really
> annoying because if I want to do some work in  the shell I now either have to quit
> mc or go to another console.

Which version of mc are you using? Version 4.5.51-11 (Debian Woody) works
well for me. Try moving ~/.mc to that mc can't find it. It it when works you
know that there is a problem with your config file. Hopefully it is somethink
so simple as that :-).

>       The other thing I have problems with these days is my mail
> sytem, I just upgrated to Debian 2.2 and with it came spruce,
> a very primitive mail client (not quite as bad as balsa though), I
> very quickly got on the wrong side off spruce though and started
> experimenting with mh and fetchmail. Now fetchmail works great
> but I would really like to filter my mail since I subscribe to couple of
> mailinglists, so I put procmail to work and now it filters, the only
> problem is that procmail saves the mail files as msg.1ft or something like
> that, and exmh (or MH) will only read files if they are numbered (I know because
> just by renaming the msg files will
> make exmh read them) and I just don't seem to find any info on
> that, I also have not been able to put my smtp setting anywhere
> so I don't even know whether I can send mail reliably yet.

Procmail seems to have little flexibility about file names. What about
running a little shell script that starts fetchmail and procmail and
then renames the files for you? E.g.,

        fetchmail
        n=1
        for msg in msg.*; do mv $msg newmail/$n; let n=n+1; done

> Still I think I would like to persue this system since it seems to
> work. On the other hand I might be barking up the wrong tree and
> should just work with mutt. I don't know, what mail clients are out
> there for people like me, the other day I had about 400 messages
> for me and that's what killed spruce.

I'm still looking for a graphical mail clients that actually works as well as
mutt. One that comes close is TkRat version 2.
http://www.dtek.chalmers.se/~maf/ratatosk/

--
Henry House